SCI patient information
Is NeuRx DPS® right for me?
Unlike a mechanical ventilator, the NeuRx DPS® provides a gentle, rhythmic, electrical stimulation to your diaphragm causing it to contract. A simple, minimally invasive outpatient procedure is used to implant the device’s four electrodes.
The result is:
- Decreased reliance on a ventilator
- Reduced risk of respiratory infections
- Increased day-to-day independence
In the NeuRx DPS® clinical trial of 50 high-level Spinal Cord Injury/Quadriplegia patients:
- 100% success rate in achieving tidal volumes in patients with intact phrenic nerve.
- 25 patients achieved full-time diaphragm pacing and eliminated the use of their ventilator.
- 33 patients now pace more than 12 hours per day and significantly reduce the time spent on their ventilator.
NeuRx DPS® has enabled Spinal Cord Injury/Quadriplegia patients to regain their sense of smell and taste, easily eat and speak and expand their mobility and transportation options.
A special, non-evasive, radiology study can be conducted to determine if your diaphragm is functioning well enough for you to benefit from the NeuRx DPS®.