What is the NeuRx® Diaphragm Pacing System (DPS)?
The NeuRx DPS® is a groundbreaking neurostimulation implant technology approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for treating people with spinal cord injuries and ALS. With no moving parts, noiseless operation and small size, the state-of-the-art NeuRx DPS® is engineered to help you breathe naturally and live more comfortably.
The NeuRx DPS® consists of:
- Four PermaLoc® electrodes implanted in the diaphragm to provide direct muscle stimulation.
- A fifth electrode implanted under the skin which grounds the system and completes the circuit
- An electrode connector, which groups the five electrodes exiting the skin into a socket
- An external pulse generator (EPG)
- A removable cable to connect the electrode socket to the EPG
The electrodes are designed using 316 Stainless Steel and other biocompatible materials with a long history of implantation. The design of the PermaLoc® Electrodes has been developed with anchoring technology specifically for long term implantation into the diaphragm muscle via a minimally-invasive laparoscopic surgical procedure.
The NeuRx® EPG is a stimulator box that sends electrical signals to the diaphragm. The signals cause the diaphragm to contract, which conditions and exercises the muscle.
The EPG settings are adjusted by your doctor to provide comfortable conditioning stimulation. You or your caregiver may control the NeuRx® EPG by turning it on and off. No other controls are available or necessary. Because the EPG is noiseless and about the size of a TV remote, it can easily be concealed.
The NeuRx® Clinical Station
The NeuRx® Clinical Station has three roles in supporting diaphragm pacing:
- It is used during the surgical procedure to stimulate the diaphragm to find the best location to implant the electrodes.
- It is used by your doctor to optimize the NeuRx® EPG settings for comfort and effect.
- It is used to program the desired settings into the NeuRx® EPG.
The PermaLoc® electrode, NeuRx DPS®, NeuRx® EPG & NeuRx® Clinical Station are manufactured by Synapse Biomedical Inc. in Oberlin Ohio. ISO 13485:2003 certified.